We’ve talked before about how devastating ignoring candidates can be to your business — and guess what? The rules haven’t changed. If anything, as technology continues to be more and more intertwined in job seekers’ personal and professional existence and as their expectations of employers get higher, it’s all the more vital that you as an employer learn how to communicate with the people who want to work for you.
Or, you know, don’t — but don’t say we didn’t warn you…
CANDIDATES ARE YOUR CUSTOMERS
The experiences candidates have throughout the application process can make or break their impression of a company, as a new CareerBuilder study shows. Not only may candidates be so turned off by a bad experience that they’ll opt out of applying — they may also choose to stop being your customer (and may tell others to do the same).
The 2015 Candidate Behavior study, conducted by Inavero on behalf of CareerBuilder, surveyed more than 5,000 workers and 2,000 hiring decision makers about the hiring experience. The study sheds light on the differences between what candidates expect from potential employers during the job application process — and what employers actually deliver.
Did I mention those differences are quite vast?
So what do you need to know right now about the candidate experience to help you better meet their expectations and get more great people applying to – and happy with – your company?
1. CANDIDATE EXPERIENCE CAN IMPACT YOUR BOTTOM LINE.
Though 82% of employers think there’s little to no negative impact on their company when a candidate has a bad experience, 58% of candidates are actually less likely to buy from a company if they don’t get a response to their application.
Conversely, 69% of candidates are more likely to buy from a company if they’re treated with respect throughout the application process.
2. YOU NEED TO USE DATA TO REALLY CONNECT WITH CANDIDATES.
Even though candidates consult up to 18 resources throughout their job search — including job boards, social networking sites, search engines and online referrals — 58% of employers don’t use tracking or coding technology to learn where their candidates are coming from. Consequently, they may be missing opportunities to connect with candidates where they are actually searching.
3. CANDIDATES PREFER BAD NEWS TO NONE AT ALL.
For some candidates, the myth of the infamous application “black hole” is all too real. 52% of employers say they respond to less than half of the candidates who apply, which is problematic: Not only do most candidates expect an automated reply that acknowledges their application, the majority (84%) also expect a personal email response (even if the news is negative).
4. ONGOING COMMUNICATION IS CRITICAL FOR CANDIDATES.
When it comes to candidate communication, many employers are falling way short. Even though 41% of candidates expect to be notified post-interview if they weren’t chosen for the job, 73% of candidates who interviewed with companies said they were never given an explanation of why they didn’t get the job.
5. CANDIDATES WANT YOU TO BE PERSONAL AND SIMPLE.
When it comes to keeping candidates engaged and interested in their opportunities, a company’s application process can be its own worst enemy. 40% of candidates feel the application process has become more difficult in the last five years. Of those, 57% complain the process is too automated and lacks personalization.
6. CANDIDATES MAY BE WILLING TO ACCEPT LOWER SALARIES.
As noted earlier, treating candidates well is good for the bottom line. More than 3 in 4 candidates (77%) are willing to accept a salary that is 5% lower than their expected offer if the employer created a great impression through the hiring process; even more (8%) would do the same if the company had a reputation as a great employer.
These findings underscore the importance of having a strong employment brand. Even so, 52% of employers do not have one, giving the other 48% a distinct edge when it comes to capturing in-demand candidates at competitive prices.
Zero Fee Recruiter is a new and better way to find great talent.
We are the world’s largest passive candidate marketplace. We provide you with qualified professionals that we have contacted and vetted for each position you are looking to fill. We deliver only candidates that are interested in the position, are available in your location and have agreed to your salary range.
ZFR focuses on passive candidates that we source through our proprietary system, “Reach Out”, and this enables our team to reach candidates that are not actively looking.
We guarantee results! It’s that easy…